Our Blog

How do you subdivide your property in New Zealand?

In New Zealand, the process of subdividing a property can be quite complex and involves several steps. Here is a general overview of the process:

  1. Determine the feasibility of subdivision: The first step is to determine whether the property is suitable for subdivision. This may involve checking the local zoning regulations and other requirements set by the local council.

  2. Engage a surveyor: You will need to engage a licensed surveyor to prepare a subdivision plan. The surveyor will determine the best way to divide the property based on various factors such as land contours, existing buildings, and local regulations.

  3. Submit subdivision application: Once the surveyor has prepared the subdivision plan, you will need to submit an application to the local council for approval. The application should include a copy of the subdivision plan, a survey report, and any other supporting documentation required by the council.

  4. Wait for council approval: The council will assess your application and make a decision on whether to approve the subdivision or not. This process can take several weeks to several months, depending on the complexity of the application and the workload of the council.

  5. Complete any necessary works: Once the subdivision is approved, you may need to complete any necessary works such as installing new services (water, power, sewage) or upgrading existing ones. You may also need to construct new roads or footpaths to provide access to the new lots.

  6. Obtain new titles: Once the works are completed, you can apply to the Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) to obtain new titles for each of the new lots.

  7. Register new titles: Once the new titles are issued, they must be registered with LINZ. The surveyor or a solicitor can assist with the registration process.

It is important to note that the above steps are general guidelines, and the actual process of subdividing a property can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the property and the local regulations. It is recommended that you seek the advice of a professional, such as a surveyor or a solicitor, to guide you through the process.